Saturday, November 29, 2008

Dinner by Jonah

Tonight, as I was enjoying some playtime with the boys before I prepared dinner, Jonah found the remnants of Brady's afternoon snack-cheerios in a small spill proof snack cup. Rather than finish off the remaining munchies himself, as I expected him to, he was suddenly moved to share them instead.

One by one Brady and I took turns having cheerios lovingly, yet forcefully shoved in our mouths. I couldn't bring myself to refuse the snack at first, because we have been working so diligently lately on the concept of sharing. Brady obliged Jonah with each offering and obediently opened his mouth just like a little baby bird. I on the other hand, started to tire of the taste after a while and gently and courteously tried to refuse any further handfuls. I even used his usual words for telling me he is done with a meal. Jonah would not hear of it, and he promptly adopted the phrases that I use when I am trying to coax him into finishing a meal that he has lost interest in. With each "No, thank you that I recited, he came back with "open up," "try it," and "have some more." By the time we were finished, I was no longer hungry for the dinner that I was about to prepare! Luckily, Brady's appetite was still wet.

No comments: