Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

This year's Thanksgiving dinner was small, but special. In previous years, in fact as far back as I can remember, all of my extended family (maternal): grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins would gather at my grandmother's house for big holiday celebrations. It's what I grew up on, and at one point it's what I'd hoped that my children would experience as well.

Life however is not stagnant. It is forever moving and changing, and we have to change with it. As the years have gone by there have been divorces, separations, deaths, and additions to our ever evolving family and inevitably we outgrew my grandmother's house. For awhile there we were taking turns hosting the biggies: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter...now however, much of that is fading away. The cherished get-together's and traditions are dying, but new ones are cropping up to replace them. It is sort of bittersweet. I am somewhat saddened at the loss of our big family holidays, but I find comfort in the new traditions that lie ahead in wait.

Now that I have my little family we have been gathering at my mother's house where Jonah and Brady can begin creating their own childhood memories. This year, we had a great time. We certainly weren't lacking for food. Despite the smaller number, we still churned out a feast. We had the pleasure of having my grandmother at our Thanksgiving table and one of my mother's siblings-her brother. Wednesday, we had a pre-Thanksgiving with the Cummins family down in San Diego. It's been a great holiday, and I'm looking forward to Christmas. Here are a few things of many that I am thankful for:

1. Jonah and Brady
2. My family-Husband, Mother, Brother and our health
3.Being a Stay-at-home mom
4.God's provisions
5.Little hugs, and little kisses
6.Sweet voices that speak "Hi, Mommy"
7.My home
8.Nap time
9. My DVR (digital video recorder)

No comments: