Sunday, November 9, 2008

Playground Politics

Today, I spent a great Sunday with my son. We went to church together and then had lunch at Round Table Pizza. Before heading to my mom's to pick up Brady and then home for nap time, I decided to take Jonah to the park. This was a rare treat for him, because I usually prefer that he play in our backyard when he is outside. I never trust parks. They are too unclean for me.

On this day however, I decided that I would go on a hunt for a decent park for Jonah to play in, but there must be at least several dozen in Moreno Valley, so I wasn't quite sure of how I was going to do this in a time-friendly manner. I needn't have worried. After driving by 3 parks, number 4 won me over. It was nestled in a fairly new housing community and was completely gated. There was beautiful green grass that went on for what seemed like miles, and the playground equipment was new and clean, and taken care of. The best thing of all was that the playground surface wasn't dirt or wood chips, but that wonderful padding that absorbs shock so well (I'm unsure of the official term).

Everything was going swimmingly. Jonah was climbing, sliding, swinging, and running. He was having the time of his life, when all of a sudden a little bully of a girl came along and literally ripped him from the teeter-totter he was about to climb and took his place for herself. I had to stifle the mama bear that immediately rose within me from her deep sleep. No matter that the offender was a little female tyke not more than three years old...I wanted to shake her and scold her for her behavior. Of course I didn't. I just gave her a stern look and picked up my son who is not used to that kind of treatment, especially from a peer...and then it hit me, and the concern came flooding out of me.

He isn't used to this kind of treatment-why, because he doesn't go to preschool. He stays at home with me, and isn't exposed to this kind of playground bullying. What will happen when we send him to preschool next year? Will he be one of those kids who lets the others walk all over him? Will he stand up for himself when it's his turn for the swing or will he let someone else cut in line? Fast forward five to ten years when he is in elementary and middle school. If the occasion arises, will I be the parent who tells him that it is never okay to fight, or will I tell him to defend himself if someone hits him?

Lots to think about. Although I taught at the secondary level, I subbed quite often at the elementary level, and I know that the playground can be a brutal place. How will I help my son deal with the playground politics?

No comments: